Friday, January 25, 2013

Ulster Prevention Council Weekly Blog 1-25-13: No Name Calling Week

It's National No Name Calling Week. Do you remember being called names by your peers? I had what my peers called "missionary glasses" the old style glasses from the 60s shaped like cats' eyes. Mine were baby blue and had stars in the corners. I remember being called "Four Eyes". In 5th grade I was called HodgePodge as my last name was Hodges. Later I can remember being called Pop'N'Fresh, referring to my pale skin and body shape. All of these seem fairly benign in comparison to the names that I hear youth use today.


Here's a link to an article in the Huffington Post by William Lucas Walker. It's a little long but I did relate to it and perhaps you will, too. Please support No Name Calling Week, and have a discussion with youth you know regarding this important topic.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/william-lucas-walker/no-name-calling-week_b_2521125.html#.UQGC779X2ot

Cheryl DePaolo
Director of Ulster Prevention Council

No comments:

Post a Comment